Ghost Theme Installation
Installation instructions will differ depending on the type of Ghost setup you are using. Select the appropriate option from below (Self Install or Ghost IO). When using a third-party ghost service we recommend viewing their knowledge base on how to upload custom themes.
- Locate the theme directory within the download files, which can be found at 'theme/themename'.
- Login to FTP/SFTP of your blog, or the file browser of your provided hosting service.
- Navigate to the '/content/theme' directory within your ghost installation.
- Upload the 'themename' directory found in step one into the remote /content/theme directory.
- Restart your Ghost service. The process for this will change dependent on your provider. If you are unaware how to restart the service please raise a support issue with your host.
- Login to your Ghost admin panel. This can be found at 'yourdomain.com/ghost'.
- Navigate to the 'Settings > General' tab.
- In the 'Theme' drop down, select the newly installed Theme. Click Save to save the theme changes.
- Login to your 'ghost.io' user panel and navigate to the 'My Blogs' page.
- Select the 'Settings' button on the blog you wish to upload the theme.
- On the 'Custom Theme' option, click the 'Choose File' button and navigate to the 'themename.zip' file in the downloaded theme directory.
- Upload the theme and 'Save Settings'. You may have to activate the theme in your ghost admin panel.
In order to update the theme to a new version, we first recommend switching to a alternative theme, such as the default theme included with Ghost. You can then delete the current version of your theme, and upload/install the new version using you're preferred method. Please not all theme based configuration options will not be saved, and will need to be reconfigured before uploading.